School Closures and Risk to Children’s Safety!
Was a lack of supervision the cause of these issues?
At least 9,000 pupils in Edinburgh have nowhere to go at the end of their Easter break after the emergency closure of 17 PFI-built schools due to safety concerns. Lack of construction supervision may be the cause of these issues.
Councils across Scotland have been asked to check their school buildings as fears grow that all schools built under the same private finance initiative could pose a safety risk to children and staff.
Edinburgh city council is to close 10 primary schools, five secondaries, two additional support needs schools and a community centre from Monday morning. No date has been set for reopening, and parents and teachers have already expressed their worry about secondary pupils who are three weeks away from sitting their important exams.
Edinburgh Schools Partnership, which built and manages the buildings, has apologised to parents and pupils, and promised to “accept full financial responsibility for investigating and resolving these issues”.
— Source from: The Guardian
As Clerk of Works our role is to
- Carry out regular inspections of the work on site
- Compare completed work with drawings and specifications to ensure they are consistent or that variations have been through correct approvals processes;
- Resolve issues as to the interpretation of agreed drawings and specifications;
- Measure and sample building materials to ensure they meet all required quality standards;
- Identify defects, provide options for correcting them and facilitate and keep records of any negotiations and contract variations subsequently required;
- Monitor and report on progress to clients, construction managers, architects and surveyors.
Your Eyes and Ears on Site!
As a well-established company, we at FCM we have been offering a professional and qualified Clerks Of Works for more than 30 years.
For more information about how we can help you, please visit our website – www.fcmltd.co.uk or speak to one of our senior clerks of works
– Steve Farrell on 07720 040 315