Installation of HeliBars.
Chase not cut to correct depth.
On one of our recent projects the specification called for the fitting of HeliBars. This was required due to cracking of brickwork above door and window frames. If installed correctly HeliBars are a versatile and cost effective structural repair system that will halt movement in brickwork and masonry without the need for taking down and re-building.
As can be seen in the picture it had not been done correctly in this instance. Chases were not cut to a sufficient depth and the bars had been doubled up rather than being set into separate chases. The bars had also not been pushed into a bed of compound. There was not much else that could have been done wrong!
If the incorrectly carried out work had not been spotted the detrimental effects to the structural stabilization project would be that it failed to achieve the desired result and may have even wakened the area causing further damage which may then have to have more expensive remedial repairs carried out at a later date when the failure became apparent.
When specifying structural repairs we should ensure that operatives are qualified and experienced, and carry out regular checks and inspections.
We have listed the more common defects found during HeliBar installations below and also recommendations on how to “Get it right first time”.
Bars not pushed into grout.
- Chase not cut to correct depth.
- No HeliBond bedding compound to the rear of the chase.
- Helibars doubled up – will not be fully bedded in compound.
- HeliBar not bedded into compound.
- Missing further bead of HeliBond over HeliBar.
- HeliBar not completely encapsulated in bedding compound.
- HeliBond bedding compound not finished 12mm from face of brickwork to allow for re-pointing.
- Ensure that you have the correct specification structural reports.
- Use only experienced HeliBar installers.
- Use correct cutting and installation tools.
- Inspect works during installation process if possible.
- Inspect installation prior to re-pointing.
View the HeliFix installation video.