How to keep up with industry developments
Keeping up with industry trends is important, whether you’re a Clerk of Works, Construction Inspector or anything else. In this article, we explain why and show you how.
Whatever industry you’re in, it’s important to keep up-to-date with the developments in your industry. It’s often hard to do, especially when you work in a fast-moving industry. We all have our current work to carry out, and let’s face it, change can be difficult. However, with a little effort, you can reap big rewards. Whether you’re a Clerk of Works in London, a Project Manager, or anything else, here are some tips on how to stay ahead of the learning curve.
Why it’s important
There are so many benefits to making the effort to stay up-to-date with trends in your industry:
- It makes life easier – If you’re prepared for change when it comes, and it will, it will be easier to cope with.
- It boosts your career prospects – Being the go-to person on industry trends puts you ahead of the pack. When you’re competing with them for promotions or new jobs, it will serve you well.
- It helps your company – It’s good for your company to have someone in their team who knows what’s going on in the industry. It may also ensure they purchase the right equipment for the future.
- It helps your customer – Most importantly, keeping ahead of new developments in your industry makes you better at your job, which means your customer receives a better service.
Now we know how important it is to keep up with industry trends, here’s how you can do it. Our examples apply mainly if you’re a Clerk of Work, but there will be equivalents for your industry and your role, whatever it may be.
This is something you will know about if you regularly read our articles at fcmltd.co.uk. If not, here’s an article we wrote about continuous learning for Clerks of Works.
For Clerks of Works, our professional association requires members to spend at least 18 hours per year attending Continuous Personal Development (CPD) courses. Maybe it’s the same in your role, but even if professional learning is not compulsory, it’s still a great way to keep in touch with developments in your industry.
Check with your professional body regarding what courses are currently on offer. You’re sure to find ones about new products, techniques or regulations, for example.
Your industry publication
Whatever industry you’re in, it’s likely there is a regular publication to serve it. More and more publications are going online only, but you may be lucky and still be able to find a printed edition.
These publications will have a news section where they detail all the important developments in the industry. There will be interviews with the important people concerned, even editorial opinion on the merits of the development. If you keep your eye on these pages, you’ll soon become an authority on what’s happening in your industry.
For Clerks of Works, our industry publication is Site Recorder. It is currently on its 1619th issue and is very highly-regarded and well-read by all Clerks of Works.
Whatever information you’re looking for, you can usually find it online. The same goes for news of trends in your industry. In fact, it’s never been easier:
- Articles – your professional body, as well as the best companies in your industry, may publish articles on a regular basis about what’s happening in your industry. At Fox Curtis Murray, we love to keep everyone informed on what’s new for Clerks of Works in London.
- Social media – Is there a Facebook or LinkedIn group for people in your industry? If so, you’re sure to find stimulating discussion on the next big things in your industry. If not, why not start one?
Talk to people
Our final tip is probably the easiest one to put into practice. When someone knows something new that other people don’t, they generally like to spread it around!
Talk to your colleagues, your network and your clients. Start conversations about what’s new in your industry. Ask for opinions. Also, keep an eye on what your competitors are up to. It will serve you well.
Over to you?
In a competitive world, it’s never been more important to be ahead of the pack. Luckily, with a bit of effort and knowledge of what’s out there, it’s never been easier.
How about you? How do you keep up to date with what’s happening in your industry? Anything we haven’t mentioned? Let us know in the comments.
At Fox Curtis Murray, we’ve been delighting project managers with our Clerk of Works services in London for more than 30 years. We’re always armed with the latest knowledge to make your project a success. Call 0207 323 5758 or visit www.fcmltd.co.uk to find out more.